Like all the outdated personal computers and laptops with outdated software android is no different. Androids also become outdated and stop receiving future security patches and updates. But Google’s software have something different up their sleeves to safeguard from ransomeware like attack !
— Google’s pixel is the only phone which mostly runs on updated android version
So What Exactly is Ransomeware and how it has ruined many users around the world ?
- Ransomeware is actually a malicious software that locks down users important data in their own devices and ask for ransom (money) in return for unlocking their data or permanently lose it, which can be really bothersome and annoying.
Notable examples of some the world’s deadliest Ransomeware-
- Reveton – a major ransomware Trojan that appeared in 2012 also known as “police trojan”. It fraudulently claims that the user must pay a fine to the respective region police for the fake crime that user is even not aware of and as a result user must pay as a fees.
- Fusob – It was one of the major mobile ransomware families. Between April 2015 and March 2016, about 56 percent of accounted mobile ransomwares was Fusob. The program pretends to be an accusatory authority, demanding the victim to pay a fine from $100 to $200 USD or otherwise face a fictitious charge.
- WannaCry – In May 2017, the WannaCry ransomware attack spread through the Internet, using an exploit vector that Microsoft had issued a “Critical” patch. The ransomware attack infected over 75,000 users in over 99 countries, using 20 different languages to demand money from users. It is the biggest Ransomeware attack in the Ransomeware attacks history till date and it is still actively running.
— Wanna cry Ransomeware inaction on victim’s windows xp operating system
Now we come to our topic that how android is safer from ransomeware like WannaCry. Only 7.1 percent of its 1 billion users are on Nougat, better known as Android 7.0, the latest version of the mobile operating system. Nearly a third run on Android KitKat or older — versions that came out more than three years ago.
But worry not, Android users. There are key differences between Windows and Android system that keep the mobile operating system safe from WannaCry’s nasty hands.
- Mobile phone connectivity – unlike computers android mobiles are not connected to each other by any kind of network or link i.e lan(local area network). Many firms and offices have their computer devices connected through one server only by which if one gets infected then the trojan would spread to all other devices and cause serious havoc.
- Data importance in phones – Majority of people use their smartphone (android,ios) for entertainment purpose, clicking photos and other stuffs. So even if the android device gets infected the user wont be worried and simply reset their phone. Nobody will pay hundreds of dollars just to unlock their unimportant data.
- Google monthly android updates – Google’s software department is know for their monthly update releases. Unlike Microsoft ,which stopped its windows XP updates in 2014.This was the reason why windows XP was hit most. So android is more safer in terms of security from ransomeware as it receives monthly security updates.
Note:The above points doesn’t prove or guarantee that android is not affected by the trojan virus. There might be a case in future where these Ransomeware might find a way to exploit even the toughest of the cyber security. So take any effective measures or actions to safeguard your information and files on all the devices, after all this is the age of technology where everything is possible Good luck !
Next Update will be : “How to prevent WannaCry Ransomware from infecting your device ? “